[TriLUG] Wireless stuff

Rock Roskam Rock.Roskam at sas.com
Thu May 26 14:08:19 EDT 2005

I have some wifi wierdness but generally it works.  I live in the flight path for RDU and wondererd if that can affect wireless things.  The following weird things happen.

Airplane flies over my cordless phone crackles. When on a cell phone the call is dropped a lot when airplanes are flying over.

My wireless has become better by.
	-neighbor with all the 2.4 phones moved. By the way his phones started having problems when I upped my power on the router.
	-switched from channel 6 default.
	-do not put a halogen lamp between you and the access point
	-boosted the power on my router

Is there a way to secure WEP?  My linux boxes have a hard time connecting with so I dropped it and now just turn on the wireless when needed.  But my router does not support WPA and I was curious about how people are securing the old wep only routers.  Can the new firmwares for the linksys wrt54g add WPA?  With the 4 other unsecured routers I can see from my house even MAC security and WEP seems better than nothing.

Rock