[TriLUG] OT - was: Financial Tracking Software

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformanceinc.com
Tue May 31 15:56:34 EDT 2005

Thomas Mayfield wrote:
> Keep in mind that most government email conversations (that I've seen)
> are done through top-posting, and reading through a long conversation
> can get very confusing in determining who said what.  I agree with
> having signatures at the bottom, and greatly prefer bottom-posting,

Really?  I've never understood that.  Why do you like scrolling down to
get to the meat of every message?  OTOH, if you're accustomed to scrolling
to the bottom of every message, then it doesn't matter what is at
the top.

But when you combine top-sigging with full-quoting and bottom-posting,
the result is that most readers don't care about the first 95% of
many messages.

Personally, as taught by most business-writing courses, I prefer
to put the most important stuff in the first two lines, because nobody
reads the rest.  (I know that I frequently don't)  :>

Chris Merrill                  |  http://www.webperformanceinc.com
Web Performance Inc.

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software