[TriLUG] automatic calling software for school

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Wed Jun 1 13:08:48 EDT 2005

Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov wrote:

>Hi,
>      My son's school has an automatic calling system to remind parents of
>meetings, activities, volunteer events, etc.  It died.  Any suggestions for
>a replacement?  I have forwarded info about Asterisk, but that may be a bit
>much for them.  Cheapest they have found so far is $2400.

Depends on what they want it to do.  Provided that you have someone
capable of setting it up, Asterisk is a fabulous solution for this
purpose.  Take an old computer they have lying around, through a minimal
distro on it, slap in a few $14 modems off Ebay (depending on your
requirements for concurrent lines), do a little setup and recording, and
you have a good automated dialing system.  It's that "do a little setup
and recording" step that requires someone at least vaguely familiar with
Asterisk to tackle.  When it comes down to the particulars of how to do
it, check out voip-info.org, the Asterisk-Users mailing list, and this
list as well -- all will be good resources.  Depending on the cost of
the time of the person doing that setup, this is likely a cheaper
solution, and certainly a more flexible solution, than anything you'll
find in the commercial world for $2400.

Best of luck,
Aaron S. Joyner