[TriLUG] dhcp option cookie-server

Ryan Leathers ryan.leathers at globalknowledge.com
Fri Jun 3 09:57:17 EDT 2005

I need some wisdom beyond the man page.  Does anyone know how and why
the dhcp option cookie-server is used?  I have found that this option,
also indicated as "cs" references quote of the day server (rfc 865).
However, I have not turned up any details on how or why one might use
this option.  Is something special being stuffed into the reply?   Is it
just a TCP handshake check as one google result indicated?

I recently encountered some devices (APC power controllers) which have a
default setting "cookie server" in the dhcp client.  Until this default
was turned off, these devices were not getting leases from the dhcp
server (dhcp3-server package installed on sarge).   I can turn off the
default value in these devices, but I'd like to know if it makes sense
to simply handle this at the server.
A man entry for dhcp options indicates how to point to a cookie server,
but I am hesitant to turn up quote of the day and configure this option
until I understand what its supposed to do for the clients.

Thanks,

Ryan