[TriLUG] FC3 install boot floppies?

David W. Aquilina david at starkindler.us
Sat Jun 4 19:46:52 EDT 2005

On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 07:08:13PM -0400, Glenn Meyer wrote:
> Is that not an option anymore?  Is there a way to create a boot
> floppy to then run the install from CD?

If I recall correctly, the 2.6 kernel has grown too large to fit on a floppy disk.

You could always install an extremely small linux distribution to get grub onto the system, then copy to the hard drive the vmlinuz and initrd.img from the pxeboot directory under images on the first CD. Point grub at those and you'll be able to do a network installation, assuming you can NFS share the ISOs from another system.

If you want to persue that path and need more detailed instructions, let me know and I'll write up the process tonight.

--
David Aquilina
david at starkindler.us