[TriLUG] re: Linux and food...

Tom Eisenmenger teisenmenger at charter.net
Sun Jun 5 09:51:05 EDT 2005

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions on both my Linux problems and
restaurant choices.  It's nice to know that I can play it by ear - if I
get absorbed checking out Jazz basses or PC mods that I can pick up a
bite at the meeting.

FWIW, I'd forgotten that I'd downloaded the Xandros ISO so I installed
it yesterday.  Very nice, with the exception of its sound not working
(claims it can't find a mixer).  I'll try to fix it today - it seems to
be a common problem with Xandros.

I'm downloading Cobind even as I type and plan to install it in the next
day or so.  I really like its desktop environment, very Mac OS X-like
from the screenshots I've seen.  I believe that for Linux to really
succeed on the desktop it needs to supercede Windows in obvious ways to
the casual user:  one way is to provide a superior user interface.  I
haven't seen attempts to do this in most Linux distros, but then again
it seems most Linus distros are content to let Microsoft dictate
commonly-accepted UI.

I'll try to remember to bring along all of my recent ISO burns, which
now include FC3, Yoper, Ubuntu, ELX, Gentoo, Arch, Suse 9.1, SymphonyOS
(it's an alpha but sports a very interesting UI), Cobind, Libranet, and
probably a few others.  Many are live CDs...

Cheers,

Tom Eisenmenger