[TriLUG] Mail archives

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Sun Jun 5 18:14:51 EDT 2005

Jon Carnes wrote:

>Owen Berry wrote:
>

>>I thought the mail archives were searchable. Am I incorrect, or has
>>something changed?
>>
>When they moved over to the new server they used a stock Mailman install
>without the HTDig mods. HTDig was the app used to auto index/search the
>list archives.
>
>Still Google ranks Trilug fairly high on their searches, so you can use
>a google search to look at the archives.

Another good trick is to google with a query string containing
"site:trilug.org", which restricts matches to the trilug.org domain
(who's primary content is the list archives that Google crawls).  That's
often better than the HTDig search which used to be in place.  The HTDig
was primarily useful for very recent postings which Google hadn't
crawled yet.  The reason for dropping it was that those are patches that
are not maintained in a Debian package (the distro that box is running),
so it's rather inconvenient to keep the mailman package up to date.  If
there's a sufficient out-cry about being able to use HTDig to search the
archives, we may consider restoring that functionality, but be careful
as considering it a critical feature may also be construed as
volunteering to maintain that package.  :)

Aaron S. Joyner