[TriLUG] Wireless Broadband

Mark Freeze mfreeze at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 10:05:40 EDT 2005

I just moved here in January and I know that while my wife and I were
looking for a house our realtor had Nextel Wireless Broadband service
for her laptop.  While we were riding around (primarily in North
Raleigh) it seemed to work great.  She would hit a few dead spots
every now and then but from what I saw the service seemed to work
execptionally well.  I think she told me that the service ran about
$50 per month if you had phone service with them.   If you are looking
for wireless broadband for business, we use Wind Channel
Communications for our building. We just have an antenna that we
connects us to them. From what I've heard, Wind Channel is providing
the wireless for the Fayetteville Street Mall, so I think the whole
area is a WiFi spot.  I also found this website, http://www.e-nc.org/
but it looks to contain outdated, or at least incomplete info.

Regards,
Mark

On 6/7/05, Jim Ray <jim at neuse.net> wrote:
> I'd like to see someone shoot a beam even further East to small
> municipalities with libaries and police departments that have no Internet
> connection.  Shooting that beam would create low hanging fruit for folks in
> the networking business.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jim
> Jim Ray, President
Neuse River Network, Inc.

tel: 919-838-1672 x111
toll
> free: 800-617-7652
cell: 919-606-1772
http://www.Neuse.Net

Ask about our
> Clean Technologies. Established in the Carolinas 1997.
>

> Jon Carnes wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 21:06, Aaron Bockover wrote:

> Okay, so Raleigh just isn't full of open WiFi hot-spots, and it'd really
be
> nice to have wireless broadband. Is anyone subscribed to such a
service?
> Does one really even exist yet in this area?

I tried signing up for the
> free Nextel Wireless Broadband trial last
year, but didn't get accepted.
> It's been a year, the trial is over, and
it doesn't look like they've rolled
> the service out publicly.

Verizon has wireless broadband, but Raleigh isn't
> one of its supported
cities.

Are we just that insignificant? I would really
> hate to have to start
using my cellphone for dial-up... that's just asinine!

Best,
Aaron

> There are a couple of folks *trying* to do wireless in
> Raleigh.
Unfortunately Bell owns all the reserved spectrum here and has just
> been
sitting on it. The few companies doing the Public spectrum are
> stuck
because no one will fund them with the specter of Bell looming over
> them
(and doing nothing)...

That's why places like Johnson County have
> Wireless DSL and Raleigh
doesn't.

It will get here though. My company is
> currently partnering (or about to
partner) with a big provider that is East
> of here. If that is successful
then we will be bringing them into Fuquay and
> Apex as an alternate
provider for our VoIP offering.

Jon Carnes
FeatureTel