[TriLUG] Question about ripping vinyl audio discs

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Tue Jun 7 12:57:23 EDT 2005

Gregory Woodbury wrote:
> I have a Smithsonian Collection [History of Country Music] that I would
> like to rip to digital form.
>
> Ideally, if someone is interested to do it for me, I'd be very grateful.
> Failing that some pointers to dosing so under Fedora 3 would be nice.
>
> Thank In Advance.

I too have an extensive vinyl collection I am converting to CD.  And
recently I did a bit of research on the topic.  There has been quite
a bit written about and discussed:

Transferring records to CD
http://www.loyno.edu/~hobbs/transfer_records_to_CD.html
"This page lists information resources on the process of transferring
analog recordings to CD form.  There are also entries for general audio
preservation and related areas." - by Jim Hobbs

Linux Journal -> From Vinyl to Digital
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6628

Linux Journal -> The Linux Soundfile Editor Roundup
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7274

LinuxQuestions.org -> What apps to use to record vinyl to hd
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?threadid=322360

LinuxQuestions.org -> From vinyl to mp3
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?threadid=300346

Audacity Open source: "A fast multitrack audio editor and recorder for
Linux, MacOS, and Windows. Supports WAV, AIFF, Ogg, and MP3 formats.
Features include envelope editing, mixing, built-in effects and plug-ins,
all with unlimited undo."
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Cakewalk Pyro 2004 Record, edit, and burn music.
(Contributed by Jerry Kazin jkazin at comcast.net)
http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Pyro/default.asp

ComputerUser.Com -> Tracks columns Archives  (audio on PC columns)
http://www.computeruser.com/archives/cu/tracks_index.html

the Record Collectors Webring: http://t.webring.com/hub?ring=vrcring

Some good advice:

Transfer Vinyl Records and Tapes to CD
(admittedly from a non-Linux software vendor):
http://www.wavecor.co.uk/index.html

Vinyl to CD-R Recording - A Tutorial  (about electrical connections,
hisses & pops, preamp considerations, settings, and best A-D on your system)
http://www.wavecor.co.uk/tutorial.htm

----

The ideal solution would use one of the new off-soundcard A-D units out
there that connect via bi-parallel port or USB, but alas no linux drivers.

Here is some good hardware though:

Phono PreAmp for Vinyl Transfer to CD:
http://www.djdeals.com/xpsoundXP201.htm
(Transfer your Vinyl to CD & remove hisses & pops from records)

Nice Turntable with variable-pitch:  (look down the page)
(just like the famous Techniques DJ & broadcast turntables)
DAK2000.com Catalog (yes the old DAK catalog!!) -> Item #2021
http://www.dak2000.com/reviews/2020story.cfm?GLP2

Nice Fader & Balancer:  (look at top of the page)
DAK2000.com Catalog (yes the old DAK catalog!!) -> Item #2020
http://www.dak2000.com/reviews/2020story.cfm?GLP2
--> note that I prefer the phono preamp above instead, and I already
     have this turntable in its Techniques form -- great

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA