[TriLUG] Good PC Parts shop in Raleigh area?

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Tue Jun 7 22:57:40 EDT 2005

Tom Eisenmenger wrote:

> Newbie gaffe on my part - I didn't realize Intrex was a LUG sponsor and
> that IS worth a few extra dollars AFAIC.  Thanks for the suggestion of
> TigerDirect, but I have been underwhelmed by them for the most part
> mainly due to the "garage sale" atmosphere.  Any others?

Needing to build a few more boxes, I decided to go check out the much
heralded "Tiger Direct Outlet Store" this weekend.  I was thoroughly
underwhelmed as well.  A lot (most) of the parts they carry seem to be
brands I've never heard of, the complete systems they had were mostly
E-Machines (yuk) and/or Compaq (yuk).  And their prices didn't strike
me was particularly good.  Especially considering my perception of the
quality of their goods.

After wandering around in there for 15 minutes, I left with nothing and
drove straight to Intrex and found exactly what I needed, talked with
a reasonably knowledgeable clerk who gave me some suggestions, and paid
a price which was, if not exactly "cheap," certainly within the range
I would call "reasonable."

Based on previous experience + this weekend, I for one have no problem
suggesting that people forget Tiger Direct and just shop at Intrex.

(disclaimer: I have no connection, business, personal, or otherwise
with Intrex other than being a satisfied customer.  This container may
contain hot liquids.  YMMV.  Forward looking statements may not reflect
reality.  This is not legal advise.  Do not remove this tag except under
penalty of death).

TTYL,

Phil
--