[TriLUG] upgrading to a bigger HD

Steve Hoffman srhoffman at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 09:16:04 EDT 2005

I have said caddy, it's USB 2.0 and works extremely well for precisely
what you say...
as long as new disk is equal or greater size (which you already said
it was) the command is simply:

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/sda (or whatever your machine recognizes usb drives as)
I personally boot to rescue mode from RH/FC cds, but I've done it once
or twice from Knoppix also with the same success.  I've cloned scsi
80GB scsi drives in 5 minutes..granted it was only the base install,
but 40GB IDE drives still only took roughly 20 min (as long as you
have usb2.0).

Let me know if you'd like to borrow.  to tie this in to another
thread...I got the caddy at the Interex in Cary for $29.99 ($10 or $20
more if you want the firewire version), great store, just make sure
you ABSOLUTELY need it...none of them seem willing to waive the
restocking fee regardless of how much you buy there; although
truthfully I've only had to return at the Glenwood store, but none the
less...the restocking fee was steep..

Steve