[TriLUG] iPod-like device to play ogg music files

Joseph Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 00:59:35 EDT 2005

On 6/10/05, Mike McLean <mikem.rtp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/10/05, Walt Novinger <walt at waltswoodworking.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone know of an iPod-like player that plays ogg files? Any
> > experience with same? Linux platform is fine (obviously!).
>
> I know at least some of the iRiver models support ogg.  No personal
> experience though.

I did some googling on that this past weekend.  I came up with this list:
http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/PortablePlayers

after some browsing, I was sold on the iAudio or IOPS flash devices.
If you're looking for a HDD based player, however, the Neuros has an
open source firmware.  Mmm Open Source goodness.

As for the iRiver models, the word is they are buggy.  That could just
be FUD though.

--
Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com