[TriLUG] Jabber usernames

Joel Ebel jbebel at ncsu.edu
Sun Jun 12 11:25:02 EDT 2005

I'm not sure I understand what exactly you're trying to do.  /whois only
gives you information about a user who's nick you already know.  And not
much information for that matter.  You can look up a vcard in jabber and
it will show you whatever information the user has entered about
themself.  This appears analogous to IRC's whois command, but has the
potential for providing even more information.  But what I thought you
were asking about was finding someone's nick knowing their name.  I
don't know how you'd do this in IRC, but with jabber, if they have
registered with the JUD, then they are searchable by name or email
address.  Of course you have to use a client that supports the JUD.  As
for listing the rooms available on a chat server, any client supporting
service discovery or browsing should be able to list the public rooms on
a server by browsing to the conference server.  In our case,
conference.jabber.trilug.org.

What I said about being connected to a room meant this:  In IRC if you
meet someone in a channel and wish to converse with them directly, you
can do so.  In a jabber conference room, users have aliases rather than
displaying their real jid, for privacy.  But, you can still send a
private message to them while they are connected to the room, and you
have the option of exchanging your real jid through that channel.  It
just offers users a little more privacy over who can talk to them directly.

Many of these features depend on using a client that supports these
features.  Multi-protocol clients are notorious for leaving out
important features of jabber.

Joel