[TriLUG] doing my first debian installation

Michael Alan Dorman mdorman at debian.org
Wed Jun 15 09:34:51 EDT 2005

Greg Brown <gwbrown1 at gmail.com> writes:
> I am going to do my first debian (non knoppix) installation tonight
> or tomorrow.  The new version is Sarge, correct?  It appears that
> debian can be installed in a number of methods.  Personally, I'd
> like to grab a ISO image and install from CD but I don't see that on
> many of the Debian download sites.  Does anyone have access to a ISO
> I can download?

Yes, the latest version is Sarge.

http://www.debian.org/CD/ has details on getting CDs.

The official method of grabbing ISOs (there are 14 if you want the
whole thing, but you really only need the first, or, even better, the
netinst ISO, which is some small fraction of an ISO) is through
bittorrent because, well, otherwise the people donating bandwidth to
us get killed.

jigdo, which is a tool that uses regular .deb downloads and rsync and
black magic to construct an ISO, can be faster, but it's a little
fiddlier to setup.  It does work, though, I have to say that.

Incidentally, I have a server at a colo that's been pumping out 50K/s
of torrents ever since ubuntu-5.04 was released; as new stuff comes
out, I just add the .torrent files, and it picks 'em up (though it
took a while for all of the Debian i386 ISOs to complete).

If you have a server with space disk space and some amount (doesn't
have to be huge) of spare bandwidth, it's a nice, easy way to give
back---it's easy to limit the overall outgoing bandwidth to something
manageable, too.

Mike
--
Tired eyes on the sunrise, waiting for the eastern glow -- Led Zeppelin