[TriLUG] linux/windoze Interoperability NOTE: 4 GB VFat filesizelimit

Tomm Lorenzin skytomm at alltel.net
Thu Jun 16 21:30:05 EDT 2005

I ghost (v9 and v2003) several systems onto either other partitions or
drives in the same system or LAN, or onto a 200GB USB2 peripheral HD
formatted as fat32.  I find that ghost does NOT "ghost" free space, but that
the number of ghost files and their file sizes of the ghost images varies
according to what file system is on the target drive. There's also a
selectable level of compression involved.

If ghosting to fat32, for instance, I get the entire ghost of a 30% used
160GB drive as SIX 4GB files plus a small seventh.  That's 48GB used space
on a 160GB drive compressed down to a little over 24GB in seven files.

If I ghost the same drive to an ntfs partition - either local or on my LAN,
I get a SINGLE 24GB ghost image file.  In my experience, in NO case does
ghost "ghost" free space.

I gotta say... after having a helluva time with some symantec products -
notably NAV and I-security - GHOST has saved me tuchus more times than I
care to admit it needed salvation.

Tomm "two heads are better'n one" Lorenzin

I'm schizophrenic...

   and both of me are crazy.

        call me: "Twisted Pair."

visit me @ http://www.1000plus.com/Cataract/