[TriLUG] OSS citrix alternative? VNC, perhaps?

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Thu Jun 16 23:17:49 EDT 2005

On Thu, June 16, 2005 10:58 pm, Aaron S. Joyner said:
> Brent Verner wrote:
>
>>[1] Please, please, please someone tell me how to make X perform
>>    as well as RDP so I can stop admitting that Microsoft actually
>>		has something better than us...
>>

> Well you simply won't get that type of performance out of X, because
> it's designed in a totally different manner.  It sends bitmaps and raw
> mouse movement information across the connection.  If you need a
> remote
> access solution, and don't mind considering a commercial product, have
> look at Sun's recently-acquired Tarantella product.  It probably won't
> meet the needs of the original poster, but I have had extensive
> experience with it lately, and come away generally impressed.  It's
> quite capable as a remote-access solution, and runs on your Linux of
> choice.  Well, to be fair, it's only officially supported and workable
> on a few choice Linuxes, as opposed to your Linux of choice.  :)
> Specifically RedHat and Suse, and a couple of other platforms.
>
> It can connect to a number of back ends / interface to a number of
> systems, including VNC, RDesktop, X, etc by being an application
> server
> on a reasonably fast network with the service, and then translate any
> of
> those outputs into it's own proprietary format and shove it down a
> single SSL session to a java-based web applet running inside a web
> browser.  Very reasonably fast and responsive remote connections, to
> anything from a terminal app, up to a full blown remote copy of
> Mozilla,
> or even an entire desktop session through RDP, VNC, or other methods.
>
> Best of luck,
> Aaron S. Joyner

I believe these guys have a Terminal Server like app for linux/X that
is supposed to be able to speed up X.  http://www.nomachine.com/
Also their are Foss implementations of this commercial project know as
FreeNX.  My guess would be that the business has windows apps that it
needs to run remotely so the Linux Terminal Server project or FreeNX
will not suit his needs.

Also let's not forget that M$ terminal services and VNC are too
completely different things.  VNC is probably not a solution based on
the limited information Greg has so far, unless we are only talking
about 1 or 2 remote users.

Matt Pusateri