[TriLUG] Postfix v QMail ?

Michael Alan Dorman mdorman at debian.org
Fri Jun 17 09:37:37 EDT 2005

Craig Duncan <craigduncan at nc.rr.com> writes:
> Looking for some real world feedback on using these MTA's, whether one
> has an advantage over the other, scales better, etc.

I was an early adopter of qmail, back in '95 or '96, and moved on to
postfix when it was finally available in, what, 1998?

Both are good systems, both scale well, both are secure.  I think it
was Jon Carnes who mentioned exim further down in the thread---I've
never heard anything bad about it, though I know less about it.

Any of them are better that sendmail was the last time I played with
it---which was, admittedly, 8 years ago, when qmail allowed us to
rescue a sparc 5 that was being used for mailing lists and student
email and was getting ground under sendmail's heel every time a list
message went out.

Not to mention...sendmail.cf. :)

That said, I prefer postfix, for the simple reason that I run an
anti-spam service with 8 machines, serving more than 300 domains, and
the postfix config file on each would be < 20 lines if you took out
blank lines and comments, plus a couple of 5-line files defining ldap
maps for relay checking and bypassing mx records for final delivery
and such.

That's a lot of power that's very easy to get to---last time I found
myself confronting a strange machine with qmail, it seemed like I had
to use find an awful lot to try and figure out what was setup, not
that I was particularly successful.

Mike
--
A steeple full of swallows that could never ring the bell -- Tom Waits