[TriLUG] trilug installfest - sat, july 9

David McDowell turnpike420 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 17:13:51 EDT 2005

answer (2): This may not be the best way, but it will clone your HD in
case you screw up...
http://www.turnpike420.net/linux/Knoppix_Uses.txt  JTower is
responsible for me trying this method this week, worked fine... of
course, you need as much free space as the size of your harddrive and
it can take a while for a large drive.  (It took me 1 hour to clone a
12GB drive over a 100mbit network, and a little over 2 hours to
restore that image.)  :)  hopefully those notes make sense.  :)  Be
sure to use the cloning notes, not the zero'ing ones if you try it!!
:)

maybe you just need: cp -aR /home /destination or similar command? and
whatever else you need to backup to another drive, or use rsync across
the network or to another drive... there are so many ways...
http://www.turnpike420.net/linux/rsync.txt

David McD
(all of my notes are typically based on RH like systems unless otherwise noted)