[TriLUG] Unresolvable Dependency Chain in FC3

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Mon Jun 20 11:49:08 EDT 2005

Hi Y'all,
   When trying to run up2date on my FC3 server, I can't get past an
unresolvable dependency problem related to the initscripts update.  It
tells me mkinitrd-A.B.C.D-2 is required, and so is automatically added
to the update list, and then it says mkinitrd-A.B.C.D-2 is already
installed.  How is having an updated version already installed a fatal
error to the update agent?  What do I need to do to get it to think,
"Okay, that package is already up to date, so that dependency is
satisfied," instead of "Oh my gosh!  That package is already up to date!
  I CAN'T GO ON LIVING!!"?

This has been happening since installation, and I need to fix it because
I'd really prefer my server to be updated.

I think I am about /this close/ to switching to CentOS.

Oh, as a side note:  Some packages are flagged to be skipped due to
modified configurations.  This seems particularly stupid, since who is
really going to be in the limited situation where the default config is
exactly what he needs?  So of course I have modified the config.  Is
updating those packages going to clobber my config?  Why would the
default be to not update when config is modified?

Thanks,
~Brian