[TriLUG] still new to apt-get, must be missing something...

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Mon Jun 20 11:51:41 EDT 2005

Greg Brown wrote:
> I've read the man page and messed around with apt-get but there is
> still one thing I can't seem to do and that is list all the packages
> that COULD be installed by apt-get if I wanted to (the equiv of 'yum
> list').  Google doesn't seem to be much help either.  Any ideas?
>
> Greg

apt/dpkg essentials

apt-cache search <pattern> - will list available packages
apt-get update - will refresh the list of available packages

dpkg -l <pattern> - will show packages installed on your PC
apt-get install <package> - will install a package (and dependencies)
apt-get dist-upgrade - will update all packages on your PC to latest versions

dpkg -L <package> - will list the contents of a package
dpkg -S <filename> - will tell which package owns a particular file

Alan

.