[TriLUG] Postfix v QMail ?

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 17:15:11 EDT 2005

On 6/20/05, Jason White <jason at jw2.org> wrote:
> It is somewhat annoying to patch qmail to get some features to work,
> but there is a very helpful guide that makes it pretty easy:
> http://www.qmailrocks.org/

"Founded in June of 2003" Oh well.  Something like that would
have been *very* nice back when I used qmail.

> Qmail and Postfix are both great MTA's, so as many others have
> mentioned, you can't go wrong with either. One thing I like about
> qmail is the "dash alias" feature.  If your email address is
> joe at foo.com, qmail gives you a wildcard alias of joe-*@foo.com.  So,
> when I go to Amazon and buy something, I sign up with
> joe-amazon at foo.com, etc.  Makes it *really* easy to see where your
> spam is coming from. Anyone know if this is easy to do with Postfix?

Yes, that was one of the things I used a lot with qmail so it was
a requirement for any MTA (mail transfer agent) I was going to
switch too.  Here is the relevant section of my postfix main.cf file.
(note that by default postfix uses + which was the standard
long before qmail decided to use -)

# ADDRESS EXTENSIONS (e.g., user+foo)
#
# The recipient_delimiter parameter specifies the separator between
# user names and address extensions (user+foo). See canonical(5),
# local(8), relocated(5) and virtual(5) for the effects this has on
# aliases, canonical, virtual, relocated and .forward file lookups.
# Basically, the software tries user+foo and .forward+foo before
# trying user and .forward.
#
recipient_delimiter = -

Cheers,