[TriLUG] Ot: getting replacement batteries for old laptops

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Jun 24 20:52:54 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 20:07 -0400, Pat Regan wrote:

> I am mostly interested in this because I am lucky to break 5-6 hours of
> light use out of the two batteries in my laptop, when I used to be able
> to get 8+ hours out of it before I tightened up the power management.
> New batteries are 100-120 a piece, and I would really prefer to pay less :).

Hi Pat,

There are a number of companies that sell external laptop batteries.
Some have huge (relative to stock batteries) capacities.  And some come
in convenient "planar" form factors that neatly fit underneath a laptop
or even act as a dock-like unit that attaches to the bottom.

And I've heard of people getting 10--12+ hours of real work with
external batteries connected to, for instance, IBM X-series ThinkPads.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307