[TriLUG] compaq presario, suse, and usb support

joel jsweatte at nc.rr.com
Sun Jun 26 19:26:29 EDT 2005

I have been running suse 8.2 on a compaq presario 7000 for, I don't know, at
least 2-3 years. I think it's time to update it even though 8.2 has performed
flawlessly. I have had only one problem which suse support couldn't help me
fix. The problem was usb support. Outside of 8.2 being somewhat dated I have
recently purchased a HP PSC 1350 v printer which, of course, uses usb to
connect. I have messed around trying to get the printer to work with 8.2 but
it appears that the printer is not  being recognized by the OS. The problem
suse support couldn't fix was a compaq usb keyboard not being recognized. I
got around that by getting a non-usb keyboard. I dual boot the compaq and
everything works as advertised on the windows side so I would assume that
hardware is not the problem. I tried a knoppix cd but it appears that knoppix
has the same problem as suse. Before I blast 8.2 away with 9.3 I thought I
would see if anyone knew about this problem and could suggest a fix. Instead
of including alot of info which may or may not be of use to someone I thought
I would post the question, see if anyone was interested, and respond with any
information they required.

Thanks in advance
Joel