[TriLUG] Mail server questions

Lisa C Boyd lcboyd at nc.rr.com
Sun Jun 26 19:47:32 EDT 2005

Having had better days, I've tried to "fix" my mail server and I'm
growing fuzzy on how a few things are handled. I appreciate any clear
direction that can be given :)

I have Sendmail set up to receive mail. Then procmail processes it as
well as CanIt scanning it for viruses/spam. I'm not sure right now which
order that happens in. I've also tried to setup Dovecot for imap/pop3
access but that's causing me even more problems so I'm thinking of
changing.

1. I have files for each user in /var/spool/mail. What puts the mail
there? What deletes the mail from that file? What moves the files from
there to the user's home directory?

2. What happens if I have both maildirs and mbox?

Thanks for any help!
Lisa B.