[TriLUG] Printing from vmware using lpr

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Tue Jun 28 21:25:31 EDT 2005

Hey folks-

I'm playing around with vmware workstation, and having a printing problem.
I've loaded Windows XP Pro into the virtual machine, and used the LPR Port
setup to print to my home network's print server (a debian box) using LPR.
This same setup works fine from a real XP box on the network. But it
doesn't work for me now - the windows queue keeps showing the document
"printing", and the lp host shows:

nujoma:/var/log# lpq
Warning: no daemon present
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
1st    Andrew Perrin 1    Test Page                             0 bytes

printing from XP's command line using the lpr command also works fine. It
seems like something is causing lpd to die when the print command comes
through - any ideas what it might be?

Thanks,
Andy