[TriLUG] New motherboard recommendations?

Joel Ebel jbebel at ncsu.edu
Thu Jun 30 14:52:40 EDT 2005

AMD is really pushing the 64 bit line, so its no longer economical to
build an athlon XP system.  If you're sticking with AMD, go with the
athlon 64, unless you want to go on a budget and get the sempron.

As for motherboard recommendations, I don't have any personal
experience, but arstechnica in the their system guide recommends the
EPoX EP-9NPA+ Ultra, based on the nForce 4 chipset.  You might also want
to check out tomshardware's review of several boards here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20050513/index.html
He seems to like the Abit and MSI boards, which also use nforce4.  He
also did a review of an Asus A8N SLI which he liked.  Based on that I'd
say people like the nforce4, so from intrex you can go with an MSI K8N
NEO4-F for $86.20 or an Asus A8N-E for 135.80.  Either would be a fine
choice for your shiny new athlon64.

Joel