[TriLUG] Linux Filesystems Comparison

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 13:33:05 EDT 2005

I've been using reiser for several months, and haven't noticed any problems
with it. It's worked better for me personally than ext3 has, but this is
just a single case.

WMM

On 6/30/05, Ken Mink <ken.mink at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/30/05, Shane O'Donnell <shaneodonnell at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Some casual secondary research seems to indicate that of the more common
> > Linux journaling filesystems:
> >
> > - XFS is incrementally faster than ext3
> > - ext3 is notably faster than Reiser
> >
> > Does anyone on list have any practical experience with either
> benchmarking
> > them (and if so, what was your application to benchmark them?) or have
> any
> > hands-on commentary about any stability differences or other potential
> > drawbacks of using XFS over ext3?
> >
> > I've got no experience with XFS, but in my estimation, if it works, it
> > should be pretty transparent. In my estimation, if you notice your
> > filesystem, something's amiss...
> >
> > Feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance --
> >
> > Shane O.
> <SNIP>
>
> I am currently using xfs for my main storage file systems in my mythtv
> box. Myth's file handling is noticeably faster. xfs is better with
> large files, such as recorded tv shows. Changing channels and
> switching off live tv got noticeably faster with xfs as it able to
> delete the files much quicker. I don't have any benchmarks just
> anecdotal evidence. I did not try reiser.
>
> Ken

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erdős