[TriLUG] Linux newbie and bad block and kernel panic

M. Hendricks mwh87120 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 5 23:51:07 EDT 2005

Hello,

I'm fairly new to Linux and I'm running (was running)
SuSE Linux Pro 9.1 on a machine that I THOUGHT I had
set up for software based RAID 1.  Being new to this,
apparently, the second hard drive is not mirroring.
My system decided to have a kernel panic the other
day.  I booted into rescue mode and ran reiserfsck on
my reiser file system.  It aborted after telling me
that...bread: Cannot read the block (2818048);
(Input/output error).  I would like to recover most of
my data, if possible with the dd_rescue command but
i'm not sure how to use dd_rescue.  This machine does
not have a CDRW drive but I do have the drive that I
thought I had setup for RAID 1 still in the machine.
Can someone familiar with this problem walk a newbie
through this?

Thanks & 73,
Mike