[TriLUG] 802.11 w/different transmit, receive wattages and gains on different antennas

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 08:45:59 EDT 2005

This may be a stupid idea, but here it is anyway.  I have a Cisco 1200
AP that has RTP-NC connectors on the back for two antennas.  These
antennas are software configurable to use both antennas or to use use
one antennas for transmit and receive or use both of just one antenna
for transmit and receive.

What I am wondering is this:

would it be possible to use the right (primary) antenna with a 500 mw
amp and a (I think) 5 dbi gain antenna (a combined unit, btw) for
transmit only and a 14 dbi gain antenna on the left for receive only
(w/o an amp).

Somehow I would imagine this could cause some degree of chaos, but, on
the other hand, I could see how this could work out.  I am going to
attempt to give this a shot, unless I hear from anyone first that it
will nuke my poor AP somehow.

Greg