[TriLUG] exim configuration question

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Fri Jul 8 10:24:07 EDT 2005

Folks,

I have a complicated question re: configuring exim on my home machine.
This machine runs exim in "smarthost" mode, sending outgoing mail to a
trusted SMTP server for delivery.

The issue is this. Most of the time, the machine runs a vpn connection to
UNC, and I would like under those conditions to use smtp.unc.edu as the
smarthost.  But if and when the vpn connection is down, unc will reject
the connection from off campus, and I would like to "fall back" to my
ISP's server, smtp.earthlink.net. Is there a way to automate this process
in exim?

Thanks.