[TriLUG] aptitude broke gaim!

Ben Pitzer bpitzer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 16:42:53 EDT 2005

Okay, so let's get something straight.  As Mike stated, Sarge is now
the Stable branch of Debian.  The new Testing branch is called 'etch'.
 Testing can be fairly unstable, but the closer to the end of a
development cycle it is, the more stable it will be.  Stable is
static, in that it VERY rarely gets any feature upgrades, or new
software.  It's frozen in time, so to speak, with the exception of bug
and security fixes.  Testing, on the other hand, evolves.  It gets
more and more stable over time (which is the point) until it's stable
enough for the Debian leadership to call it 'stable' and release it as
such to the public.  Given that we just had a release wherein Sarge
became Debian 3.1 (Stable), the current Testing branch is fairly
unstable, comparatively speaking.  I recommend that most folks use
Sarge for now, and give etch a little time to mature before they use
it.  I rarely recommend that anybody use Unstable (codename Sid)
unless they're bug hunting, testing, developing, or just have a high
tolerance for pain.

-Ben