[TriLUG] mod_auth_somethingorother

Craig Duncan craigduncan at nc.rr.com
Thu Jul 14 10:28:02 EDT 2005

Brian Henning wrote:

> Hi List,
>   From a previous employment, I recall an apache module (I think)
> called mod_auth_pl, or mod_auth_perl, or some such.  I also remember
> the website I was working on for that job having a login widget on the
> page that took the place of the default browser pop-up authentication
> dialog, but still managed (iirc) to interact with the apache
> authentication model (i.e. I don't remember there being any fancy
> footwork other than .htaccess files to control access, still used
> Basic auth, but used the .
> page's widget instead of the browser's pop-up).
>
> I really want to do that for some web pages here.  Have a default
> login page, instead of having the browser pop up the auth dialog.  Am
> I remembering poorly, or is that easy to do?  I still want my PHP
> scripts to be able to use things like $_SERVER["REMOTE_USER"] and such.
>
> Thanks for the advice, folks!
>
> ~Brian

Since you are using PHP, I would consider using PHP to handle the
authentication. If you insist on using http authentication take a look
at http://us2.php.net/manual/en/features.http-auth.php, but I think you
will find that using sessions and you own authentication mechanism much
more managable.

Craig