[TriLUG] Apache sharing files out of a samba share

David McDowell turnpike420 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 13:28:54 EDT 2005

We can list the files, we cannot open the files... in light of that, I
tried a different method (since responses are limited so far)

I put a sym link in the Apache directory, for example:
/home/user/public_html/mysymlink
points to /mnt/mysharename.

PHP can also list the contents perfectly fine via the sym link, but
Apache cannot and /var/log/httpd/error_log indicates "Symbolic link
not allowed".  Well, I kinda expected PHP would work and Apache would
throw an error like that, but I had to try.

Any other suggestions?  This is so our files can be hosted on a smb
share (fileserver on separate machine) but be accessed by our
application running on Apache.  Smb share perms are not in question...
they are unlimited rights in the sandbox with our sample files while
we test things.

thanks,
David McD