[TriLUG] LVM conversion?

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Fri Jul 15 13:44:37 EDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 01:40:13PM -0400, John Broome wrote:
> I'm pretty much in the dark about filesystems other than ext3.  I know
> lvm is sweet since you can resize it on the fly-ish, but other than
> that no clue.

LVM isn't a filesystem.  It is a mechanism for dynamically allocating space.
You put filesystems on logical volumes.  You can put ext2/3, reiser, swap,
et al on a logical volume.  To do resizing, the FS also has to support
resizing.

Heck I was just doing some experiments last night using logical volumes as
components of Linux software RAID arrays.  Yes, it's sick, but that just
shows you how powerful this thing is.

> So yeah, i'd be into a FS comparision/ LVM talk.

+1

--
Kevin Otte, N8VNR
nivex at nivex.net
http://www.nivex.net/

-=-

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
-- George Santayana

"It seems no one reads Santayana anymore."
-- Cdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5