[TriLUG] Install - ThinkPad T20

David McDowell turnpike420 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 15:22:39 EDT 2005

Your choice is wide as others have already said.  Maybe we can narrow
it down for you.  You mentioned you want Apache, PHP, MySQL.  Are you
looking for a portable server?  OR, are you looking for a portable
desktop that can also run these services as well?

I just got a T42 recently and have tried Ubuntu, which I have moved
away from for CentOS 4.1, which I'm actually considering moving away
from for FC4 b/c I need more desktop like features vs server
features/stability.  I really hate the idea of the constant updates,
but I want to be able to play BZflag on the road, and be in a familiar
distro environment (red hat like for me).  Ubuntu did the ATI 3D fine,
but is debian like and no root, sudo everything, etc., so I couldn't
stand it.  CentOS 4.1 is very stable, runs smooth, familiar
environment, but isn't doing the ATI 3D well (not at all on my mobile
radeon 7500).  Both can support the ipw2200, Ubuntu out of box, CentOS
4.1 with mild persuasion.  I'm hoping FC4 combines the best of both,
although it will be slightly more bleeding edge, so possibly much less
stable.

good luck,
David McD