[TriLUG] Install - ThinkPad T20

Ron Joffe rjoffe at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 18 15:30:44 EDT 2005

On Monday 18 July 2005 14:00, matt-nc wrote:
> So now I am deciding which Linux distro to use.  Any suggestions about what
> would be best for this machine or what I should avoid?

I have a T20 that has been running different flavors of SuSE since it was
brand new (2000). It's currently running SLES-9 (Suse Enterprise) as an
portable oracle DB server. It has been very solid under SLES.

As others have stated it would depend what functions you wanted, but SLES is
perfect for a mobile server while SuSE 9.3 runs great on it as a desktop OS,
all hardware was found (sound drivers, Nic, video, etc).

> Any suggestions on where to get extra battery packs, besides eBay?

I got my new battery from IBM directly. Found they had the best price after
utilizing my school Alumni purchase program (similar to the employee purchase
program that others have mentioned here). I think it was ~ $130 a year ago.

Ron