[TriLUG] Debian 3.1 (Sarge) help request

Chris erbridges88 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 20 00:47:46 EDT 2005

Thanks, Randy.  Yes, CTL-ALT-F1 takes me to the
console login.  And, yes, I am able to login from the
real terminal/console.

ALT-F7 takes me back to the Xwindows (GUI) screen.
So, I can switch between the _real_ terminal and the
simulated GUI terminal by using CTL-ALT-F1 and then
ALT-F7.

Turns out, the guy next door was able to help me solve
the login issue.  The "ERROR 0280-Previous boot
incomplete--Default configuration used" message that I
received is an internal Compaq error.  I simply had to
hit F1 to reboot. (Glad it wasn't a Debian install
problem!).  The login errors in the GUI were caused by
a user directory problem (I didn't fully understand
this), but the guy next door solved it.

Back to normal again.  Everything's running smoothly.

Thanks,

CB

-----
CB,

I don't know that the message means that the install
is incomplete. It seems to indicate that there was a
problem with the previous log-in attempt. Try this:
CTL-ALT-F1 (This may or may not work in Debian, I use
Ubuntu and it does there...) It should give you a
console log in instead of a graphical log in. Does the
user name and password work in this screen? If so,
this may help us to isolate the problem...

Randy Barlow

>On Saturday, I was able to logon to the laptop.  No
>problems.  However, on Sunday morning, I could not
>logon under my username. (Yes, the password and
>username are correct!)
>
>Here's what happens when I try to logon...
>
>I type my username and password, and hit enter.  The
>system deletes the username I have typed.  It does
not
>give me an error message.  It does not load XFCE
>(which was installed on the laptop on Saturday).  I
am
>still at the logon screen.
>
>Just to experiment, I try to logon as "brown," a user
>that is not set up on the system, and I type a
>ficticious password.  The system responds with "Login
>incorrect" (as it should).  So, the system tells me
>when the login is incorrect...but when the login is
>CORRECT, it responds by deleting the login name (and
>it does not load XFCE).
>
>More experimentation...I log on as root, and type in
>the password.  System logs me in, and loads XFCE.  No
>problems.
>
>So it recognizes root, but it does not recognize my
>username.  Why is this happening?  More importantly,
>how do I correct this?
>
>This morning (Monday), I tried to logon again.  This
>time, I didn’t even get to the logon screen.
Instead,
>I receive the following message...
>
>"ERROR
>0280: Previous boot incomplete – Default
configuration
>used"
>
>The system gives me two choices...
>F1  Boot, or
>F10  Computer setup.
>
>I powered the laptop off, not knowing which one to
>choose.  Looks like the system is telling me that I
>will have to re-install Debian  b/c the first install
>was not fully completed...?  Is that right?  How can
>that be?
>
>I feel very frustrated right now, b/c I don't know
>what I'm doing, and I’m afraid to poke around for
fear