[TriLUG] iwlist scanning

Michael Alan Dorman mdorman at debian.org
Thu Jul 21 16:49:19 EDT 2005

Scott Chilcote <scottchilcote at earthlink.net> writes:
> I'm not a wireless expert...  But the default configuration on my
> notebook makes eth0 the wired LAN, which does not support scanning.
> The wireless interface is eth1.  Have you tried "iwlist eth1 scan" ?

Simply running 'iwconfig' should allow you to unambiguously identify
which interface name corresponds to the card.

I suspect, though, that it won't make every difference.  scanning
isn't universally supported in drivers, I believe.  The orinoco driver
may not support it.

Indeed, a moderately authoritative discussion of linux wireless stuff
(at http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Orinoco.html)
suggests that the patches necessary for scanning support aren't in the
mainline kernel.

Mike