[TriLUG] SATA and Linux RAID

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 10:40:58 EDT 2005

If you're running a motherboard that supports it, I'd go for RAID through
the BIOS. The nVidia nForce 4 chipsets have a nice RAID feature, that will
even extend across the SATA, SATA II, and IDE channels.

WMM

On 7/22/05, Dean Price <deano at price4.org> wrote:

> I am preparing to build a Linux SMB file server
>
> the OS will go on the IDE drive
> two 250GB SATA drives will be used for the data
>
> The shop this box is going into will be closed (no work) over night.
>
> My question is this
>
> Would it be best ( more effiecient ) to create a linux raid mirror with
> the two drives.
>
> or
>
> set the drives up static (sda1 and sdb1) and create a cron job the will
> dd sda to sdb.
>
> Thoughts and comments please.
>
> --
> Thank You,
> Dean Price
> deano at price4.org

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erdős