[TriLUG] new project: networked video cameras

Michael Tharp gxti at partiallystapled.com
Fri Jul 22 11:30:49 EDT 2005

Greg Brown wrote:

>>I set it up to drop jpegs into a directory as fast as it could, which
>>was slow but it was exactly what we wanted.  I had a cron job run every
>>X minutes and convert the jpeg files to an mpeg movie and delete the
>>jpegs.  The mpegs were dated and stored in another web accessible
>>directory.  It worked quite well.
>>

>How'd you do that?  Convert the jpgs to mpg I mean.  What software did you use?
>
>Greg

There's a program out there called mencoder, the counterpart to
mplayer(you might already have it installed) that does just that.
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-enc-images.html describes
this process in detail, although it only gives info on mpeg-4 and some
avi formats, although I'm sure with info from other parts of the site,
you could figure out how to do mpeg-2.

Michael Tharp