[TriLUG] Disable Some Screensavers

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 12:06:08 EDT 2005

On 7/27/05, David W. Aquilina <david at starkindler.us> wrote:
> Instructions for removing KDE's control over the screensaver and using the normal (and sane) mecahnism can be found at http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/man1.html#10

Actually, those instructions look more like a hack to me than using
KDE's screensavers.  Why would I want to disable KDE functionality, which
is fully integrated into the KDE desktop and use a 3rd party application
which doesn't integrate?

But, a quick google search found the solution to Brian's problem.
Search for the 2nd (or was it 3rd?) occurance of the word "random" on
http://www.ep.ph.bham.ac.uk/general/support/linux9custom.html
and you'll see that you just need to find the directory with the KDE
screensavers (on my Kubuntu system it seems to be
/usr/share/applnk/System/ScreenSavers) and rename any of the
files to not have a .desktop extension.  This will disable the screensaver
and it will not be selected by the random screensaver mode.

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace