[TriLUG] Mailbox - Maildir mess

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 18:55:39 EDT 2005

Help!!!

I just realized that I when I converted to postfix, I misconfigured fetchmail.

I run my own mail server which processes mail coming into my personal
domains.  My postfix setup places this mail into maildirs for the
various users.

I also have mail accounts at my isp for my wife and me. I use
fetchmail to get these. I thought that everything was working fine and
everything was going to the maildirs.  But most of MY mail comes to
the personal domains, and I just noticed that I wasn't actually
getting my ISP mail.

After looking around at logs and files,  I figured out that fetchmail
was sending the mail to rick at localhost and postfix was dropping this
mail into a mailbox at /var/spool/mail/rick

I've fixed this by using smtpaddress in the fetchmailrc

I still haven't figured out how to transfer the mail from the mailbox
files to the proper maildirs.  I googled mailbox maildir conversion
and found some scripts which create a new maildir from a mailbox, but
what I want to do is effectively import from the mailbox files into
existing mailbox directory structures.

Any suggestions?