[TriLUG] Mailbox - Maildir mess

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 19:06:40 EDT 2005

On 7/31/05, John Broome <jbroome at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/31/05, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I still haven't figured out how to transfer the mail from the mailbox
> > files to the proper maildirs.  I googled mailbox maildir conversion
> > and found some scripts which create a new maildir from a mailbox, but
> > what I want to do is effectively import from the mailbox files into
> > existing mailbox directory structures.
>

> I think mb2md is the package you're looking for.

Mb2md is what I used way back when I converted from mbox to maildir
when I was running rh9/sendmail and switched, but it doesn't seem to
be written to merge a mailbox into a maildir.  It's really written to
convert FROM mailbox TO maildir format.

Heres what the doc says: "mb2md does not destroy your valuable email.
It insists that the output maildir not exist when you start, so you
know that the output maildir exactly matches the input mbox. More
importantly, it does not remove the input mbox when finished -- so if
you decide you don't like what mb2md did, you can fallback to your old
mbox."

I suppose I could hack it to do what I want, but I was hoping to find
something which was already tested.