[TriLUG] Linux and the Intel Pentium Extreme

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Sun Jul 31 19:27:20 EDT 2005

i'd be willing to bet that you experienced motherboard failures rather
than cpu failures.  and amd does not make motherboards.

i've built dozens of systems from scratch (all using amd procesors) and
have never experienced a failed amd cpu.  i have, however, had several
bad boards, usually from a low-grade manufacturer.  stick with good
motherboards and the reliability difference between amd and intel is
negligible.

jason

ps - unlike amd, intel does build their own line of boards and they are
excellent.  but they're significantly more expensive, especially when
the cpu/mobo cost is added together.