[TriLUG] Re: FC2 and WIndow xp dual system problem

Lance Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Mon Aug 1 12:12:34 EDT 2005

Jianshuo Niu wrote:
> Hi! There:
>
> I had a dual system( FC2 and Windows home) on my dell laptop. Last
> week, I upgraded Window XP Home to WIndows XP Pro. Now I lost my boot
> mananger for the linux partition. Before I installed WIndow XP Pro, I
> formated windows parition to have  a clean install.
>
> This morning, I tried to install the linux boot manger with FC3 DVD,
> but I failed.
> If anyone knows how to fix this problem, please let me know at your
> earliest convenience.

Greetings,

I would use any of the several very good LiveCD distros (Knoppix, etc.)
or a system rescue cd, such as http://www.sysresccd.org/ to boot the
machine and re-install the linux boot manager.

I've reinstalled the GRUB boot manager using sysresccd by:

1.  Boot system rescue CD
2.  mkdir /mnt/root
3.  mount /dev/hdaX /mnt/root, where X is your linux partition
4.  chroot /mnt/root
5.  grub-install

That should put the boot manager back on.

--[Lance]

--
 Celebrate The Circle   http://www.celebratethecircle.org/
 Carolina Spirit Quest  http://www.carolinaspiritquest.org/