[TriLUG] anyone using Wild Blue satellite?

Tarus Balog tarus at opennms.org
Mon Aug 1 13:29:23 EDT 2005

On Aug 1, 2005, at 11:36 AM, Greg Brown wrote:

> http://www.wildblue.com/
>
> I would like to know what you think about the service, does it work
> with VPN clients, and would you suggest this service to someone who
> has no access to DSL or cable?

Hrm. As someone without high speed at the house, I'm always looking
for possibilities (luckily I have 10MB to TW's SONET ring at the
office in town).

I suffered with DirecPC for three years, but dropped them due to poor
service, unrealistic limitation on traffic and the whole smart card
debacle.

I've been looking at Starband (http://www.starband.com) and while
I've heard good things about them, they are too expensive.

Wildblue is half the price of Starband, and it is also apparently
part of NRTC (National Rural Telecommunications Cooperative) with is
a pretty respected organization (I used to help manage their
network). I would love it if it works.

-T

-----

Tarus Balog
The OpenNMS Group, Inc.
Main  : +1 919 545 2553   Fax:   +1 503-961-7746
Direct: +1 919 647 4749   Skype: tarusb
Key Fingerprint: 8945 8521 9771 FEC9 5481  512B FECA 11D2 FD82 B45C