[TriLUG] AMD and reliability

Charles Fischer fischer at 4pi.com
Mon Aug 1 16:02:43 EDT 2005

I just ordered a AMD dual processor dual-core Opteron system.  I have used
many AMD systems in the past.  A lot of K-6 and Athlon systems at customer
sites.  This is my first 64 bit or dual-core system.  Over the years I have
used Intel systems when I needed dual busses.  If I just needed dual
processors I used AMD.  There have been exceptions, such as when the
customer wanted Intel Inside.  Of the about 50 (more AMD then Intel)
systems I have installed, I have had to replace one motherboard on both
Intel and AMD systems.  I do not remember replacing any CPUs.

So I suggest going AMD, but if I had had the same reliability as you have
had, then I would go Intel.

Good luck
Charles Fischer