[TriLUG] AMD and reliability

Josh Vickery vickeryj at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 16:48:27 EDT 2005

I've owned 2 AMD systems, an AMD K6-2, and a dual Athlon MP.  The K6-2
gave me no trouble.  The dual MP is running on a Tyan Tiger MPX, and
it is a bit of a pain in the ass.  It crashes under heavy IDE load,
and sometimes it won't turn on.  Sometimes it crashes when
transferring lots of data over usb 2.  I have an NEC laptop with an
intel 486 that works most of the time, but sometimes drops its network
connection and won't restablish it until the driver module is
reloaded.    I built an AMD XP 2500+ on an Asus mobo MythTV box for a
friend, and that crashes from time to time, but it may be due to the
ivtv card in it, and cooling issues.

I also have an xbox (celeron 733), a dell laptop (pentium m) and
desktop (p4), a dual celeron 366 box, an ibm laptop (p3), and a
toshiba laptop (p4) that don't crash.

Of all the systems listed, my favorite is the pentium m laptop.  I
hope to put intel's yet to be released dual core pentium ms in the
next desktop I build, but I wouldn't hesitate to build an XP 64 X2
system either, I just might spend some more time reading motherboard
reviews before doing so.

Josh