[TriLUG] AMD and reliability

Barry Gaskins barry.gaskins at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 17:02:30 EDT 2005

   I read an article a few years back where they removed the heatsink
and cooling fan from an intel processor and an AMD processor and then
ran the computers until it overheated.  Of course both of them
overheated pretty quickly but the intel processor had some type of
thermal sensor that shut down the chip before any permanent damage was
done but the AMD processor lacked anything like that so it self
destructed.
   That was a few years back so AMD may have added such protection in
the latest chips.  I tend to agree though that AMD is currently a
better value.  You can buy a lot of heatsinks and cooling fans to be
sure you don't overheat for the difference in the price of comporable
chips.

   - Barry Gaskins