[TriLUG] Bind Question

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 09:16:02 EDT 2005

On 8/4/05, Douglas Ward <binaryflow at gmail.com> wrote:
> Should I not be adding the *
> wildcard to each domain? Is that not best practice? I noticed that I could
> add the wildcard to the text file directly and get away with it. I am
> concerned, however, that we might be breaking Bind. I'd like to resolve this
> before going live. Does anyone know the answer? Thanks!

Well, you won't be breaking bind as it is a valid part of the spec.  But,
it's generally frowned upon unless you've got a very good reason because
it have unintended consequences.  (One of which being that you don't
really want people accessing your site using the url
http://xratedvideoname.churchdomain.org, now do you?)

Cheers,
Tanner
--